Monday, February 16, 2009

Welcome from Avram's Blog!



Welcome from Avram's Blog!

I read my blog through Google's translation, but I can't understand what I wrote at all. It is also wrong. If you read my Blog in English, it is not interesting. Even if it sounds not funny, my life with Avram has been great. I thank him very much for making money, giving me many opportunities for fun, and loving me a lot:)

Some people ask me if it's difficult to marry to a foreign man. I always say "No." Even if I married to Japanese and if I didn't communicate with him, I could never understand him. But Avram and I tell about each other every day, so we have been fine SO FAR.

In the beginning of our relationship, we sometimes misunderstood each other because of my English. For example, I didn't know I was his girlfriend for a month until I heard him telling it to his friends. I was surprised that I got a boyfriend without recognizing it. We sometimes waited for each other at different places because of misunderstandings. Anyway, I realized we should talk about each other through those experiences. It's very important to make sure of the relationship or to understand the situation. Otherwise, we couldn't get married.

But it's not Japanese culture to talk about ourselves to others. It's not so comfortable for me.

One day, Avram's mother said she read that Japanese don't say "I miss you "to people. She asked us if it's true. I think it's true.
We can translate it into Japanese, but actually we don't say "I miss you" even to our families and friends.

We grew up in almost the same society in all of Japan. We learn very similar etiquette, gestures, and attitudes. We share many common things, feelings, and cultures. It's possible to understand each other without words. We often understand other people with the silences and ellipses. It is like you read between the lines. You read other people with the silences.
If you don't or can't read other people's minds, people sometimes wonder why you don't understand it.

Even if we don't say "I miss you" we have already meant it in our conversation, so the other one read the meaning or feeling. We understand the other one in the situation.
If we want to tell "I miss you" to other people, we say "I want to see you " or "Come to see me."

I say "I miss you" to English speakers, but not to Japanese people. I think expressing myself is very important especially when I'm in English speaking countries or maybe in other countries, but it sometimes doesn't work in Japan.

I learned I need to express myself especially to my husband to understand each other, so I say "I miss you" to Avram even if he's in the bathroom.

No comments: