Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sento = Japanese Bathhouse

Last week was a little chilly and rainy. I came home from work and after an early dinner, I suggested we take Airi for her first trip to a local public bathhouse. We went to hot spring resorts last year, but have never had a chance to check out our local offerings.

We went down the hill and visited a little place on the side of the road. In typical local bathhouse style, the women went in one door and I went in the other. Once inside, we were separated by about 3 feet. Between us was the woman who worked there and who keeps an eye on everything. I paid for us and then found a locker. The woman working there has a great view of both sides of the sento and the wall separating the men and women was only about 7 feet tall. The roof of the place was high and allowed for lots of echos.

I found a locker and put my clothes in there, all the while answering "yes" as Airi shouted "Appa" from the other side. I went into the bath and washing area on the men's side and Airi and Rie went into the women's side. Airi kept calling me and I kept answering her, but it was hard to make out words because of all the tile that made the sounds bounce around.

I washed up and had a good soak, but the water was hot and I could hear Airi being cautious from the other side. After a nice soak, Rie and I shouted back and forth and agreed to head out.

I dried off and changed back into my clothes before meeting Rie and Airi outside for the short drive home in the rain.

We had a good time and I am looking forward to checking out the two other local Sentos in the area.

1 comment:

V said...

New Word: SENTO!