Wednesday, March 11, 2009

An American gas oven アメリカ製ガスオーブン


Finally we got an American gas oven. The gas man said I should open the window next to the oven and turn off the gas hose on the wall everytime I cook. What?! Why do I have to do extra work for cooking?

I realized why he said so when I cooked. I smelled gas a little bit from when he hooked it up. Also it is dangerous when I turn on the gas. It makes a big fire when it lights up. It could burn my hair or could have a curly or dread hair EVERYTIME I cook. According to Avram, the fire is normal size for him. It's famous that American size is much bigger than Japanese one such as hamburgers, cars, and so on. Isn't the fire an American size?

The American gas oven is in our kimchee room. It smells of kimchee a little bit even though we haven't kept kimchee there for four months. The smell stays there forever.
It's still been chilly here for Avram and me, but I have to open the window when I cook. Then Avram says it's cold to his cooking wife in the cold kimchee room and closes the doors of kimchee room and our living room.

After I cook in the COLD kimchee room, I turn off the gas hose on the wall and close the window. When I served dinner yesterday, I forgot to give him a glass of water. He said we were getting poorer and poorer. I asked him why. He answered we couldn't drink even water now. Nice! I brought a glass of water to him without saying anything. (I mean "gently".)

Even if I cooked in the COLD kimchee room, the Japanese Sukiyaki I made was warm. It made him happy and his smile made me happy.

I haven't baked since we left the U.S., so I wanted to make something for Avram. I made chocolate chip cookies. I didn't have baking soda for the baking, so I used baking powder instead. I know they work differently in baking, but they both are a kind of food. I thought it should be all right.

I opened the window and lit the fire.

If I used baking soda, the cookies would be flat and soft. But those cookies I made looked good, but didn't become flat. They looked like many small bumps.

I realized I sould have followed the recipe. I always don't follow the direction and make mistakes. I usually learn from mistakes.

Many small bumps smelled very good. When Avram came, he realized I baked that day.

Actually I don't know, but he probably has a good nose which many Japanese people are jealous of. He is good at figuring out what smell it is. Many J-people want a big nose. When I was a child, my mother used to pinch my nose and make a wish, "Be bigger. Be bigger." It didn't work at all. I just remember I couldn't breath then.

Anyway, Avram liked the cookies and said he would bring some for his coworkers who helped us to get the gas oven. The next day the cookies were even harder. I worried if his coworkers could eat. I called Avram in his office and asked if they still have their nice teeth. He checked it for me and said their nice teeth are still there. I was happy and could sleep better that night.

Living in other countries is very fun, but it's not easy to work well in the kitchens.

Today I made a pizza.

やっと我が家のオーブンが使えるようになりました。ガス屋のおじさんが言うには、「毎回ガスを使うときには窓を開けて、使い終わったらガスの元栓を閉めてね。」どういうこと?!なんでただガスを使うだけなのに他にもすることがあるの?

使ってみるとその原因がすぐにわかりました。多分接続のためだと思いますが、その時のガスのにおいがかすかにしました。しかも、点火する時、炎がぼあっっといったん燃え上がってから火がつきます。髪の毛毎回焼けちゃって、ドレッドかカーリーヘアになっちゃいそうです。アブちゃんが言うには、それぐらいの炎は普通らしいです。それって炎もアメリカンサイズなんじゃないのぉ?と思います。

そのガスオーブンはキムチ室にありますが、引っ越してから4ヶ月そこにキムチを保存したこともないのに、においがかすかにします。永遠に消えませんね、これは。こっちはまだ肌寒いのですが、料理するたび窓を開けなくちゃいけません。そしたら、アブちゃんが「寒いよぉ。」と言って、けなげに寒いキムチ室で働く妻を閉め出し、キムチ室とリビングの戸を閉めます。

やっと料理が終わってガスの元栓と窓を閉めて食卓につこうとすると、アブちゃんが「最近、うちはどんどん貧しくなっていくね。」と食事を見ながらしみじみ言うので、なんでかと聞けば、「だって、水さえもう飲めないんだよ。」と、水を持ってくるのを忘れた私にチクッと言います。「まったく。」と内心思います。私は何も言わずに1杯のお水を彼の前に静かに置きました。(もちろんやさしく。)

キムチ室での料理は寒いけれど、作ったすきやきは温かかったです。アブちゃんの満足げな顔に幸せを感じたひと時でした。

アメリカから引っ越してきて久々のお菓子作り。チョコレートチップクッキーを作ることにしましたが、ベーキングソーダがなかったのでベーキングパウダーを使いました。使用目的が違うのは百も承知ですが、食べ物だから、まっ、いいか、と思い使いました。

料理の前にまずは窓を開けて、オーブンに火をつけます。

ベーキングソーダだと平らにやわらかく仕上がりますが、ベーキングパウダーだと見た目はいいけど縦に膨らんでこんもりしたクッキーになります。まるで小さなたんこぶがいっぱい並んでる感じです。

やっぱり、ちゃんと説明どおり作らないとだめですねぇ。いつもわかっていながら失敗してから学びます。

ちっちゃなたんこぶたちのにおいはとてもよく、アブちゃんは帰ってくるなり私が今日はお菓子を作ったことに気づきましたた。

思うのですが、アブちゃんは何でもかぎわける(日本人があこがれる)高い鼻を持ってると思います。私も小さい時母親に鼻をつままれて「鼻が高くなれ!鼻が高くなれ!」とされました。全然効きませんでしたし、息ができなかったを覚えています。

アブちゃんはそのクッキーを気に入って、お世話になった同僚に持っていくと言いましたが、私としては彼らがちゃんと噛めるか、その硬さが心配でした。彼があげたその日に、気になって職場に電話して、「まだ彼らの歯はある?」と聞いたら、「まだあるよ。」とアブちゃんがチェックしてくれました。だから、安心してその晩はよく眠しました。

海外生活は楽しいけれど、その台所でうまく働くっていうのは慣れるのに時間がかかります。

今日はピザを作りました。

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I need a kimchee room! Glad to see your blogs have been combined. Two of my favorite things to read, all rolled into one. More fun for me!