Sunday, March 22, 2009

Language: A bat and two balls

Avram doesn't use bad words to other people. He teaches me slang when I ask the meaning, but he doesn't use them even though he likes Hip Hop music very much. He uses good English for me.

I usually teach him polite Japanese. But men or boys usually use informal expressions, so people think Avram speaks very nice Japanese or they sometimes think he sounds gay.

One difficult part about learning Japanese is counting. We have many kinds of collective nouns or countable nouns. First example, we say "pon" for long and skinny things such as carrots, pencils, and trees. We say 1 pon carrot, 2 pon carrots, and 3 bon carrots...(sometimes the word changes.). Second example is "toe" for big alive animals such as elephants, lions, and whales. We say 1 toe elephant, 2 toe elephants, and 3 toe elephants... . Third example is "ko" for small things such as a small rock, an eraser, and a ball.

The other day I realized we also use "toe" for butterflies. (Actually I sometimes can't remember some Japanese.) "Toe" is usually for big alive animals, but for such small insects butterflies. I don't know why. I told it to Avram. Then he said, "1 toe of Chocho(butterfly), but 1 pon of Chinchin(penis). That doesn't sound right. It should be 1 toe of Chinchin(penis). You should say one toe of bat and two ko of balls."

Remember "toe" is for big alive animals. I have nothing to say about it, but has anyone ever seen 1 "toe" of bat?

No comments: