Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A quick trip to South Korea

We have been enjoying all of the international food that the nation's capital has to offer here in Korea. We eat most of our meals in the Itaewon area of foreigners. Our hotel is pretty much only Americans and I only see Americans at the class I am taking every day. When we visit tourist sites, we see mostly Japanese people. So, it feels pretty much like not being in Korea these days.

Rie has had a hankering for Japanese food for a few days now. Two visits to a California Sushi place did not satisfy her cravings. Today, we went to a small Korean place for some Udon soup, but it was not that great.

Ever since my first visit to a Korean restaurant back in college, I have enjoyed the fact that Korean restaurant workers are not shy about making sure you enjoy their food the right way. If you are using chopsticks to eat the rice, they will take the chopsticks away from you and put the spoon in your hand

I ordered pork and potato soup for dinner tonight. I correctly removed the big bone of pork from the spicy hot soup and put it in the small dish. Then, I used my chopsticks to scrape the meat off the bone. Then I used the spoon to eat the meat. Apparently, I was incorrect.

The woman running the restaurant reached into my soup with her bare hands and removed all of the bony chunks of meat and put them in the small dish and explained something to me in Korean. A few minutes later, she returned and picked up a bone, broke it in half, and (using gestures) showed me that the proper way to eat the meat was to pick it up and clean the bone with my teeth. And, just to drive home her point, she also brought me a wet wipe and opened it for me.

I thought I was doing okay with the rice, but she took the spoon out of my hand and broke up the sticky rice into appropriately sized pieces for my enjoyment. That was after I stopped her from dumping all of the rice into the spicy soup

All in all, it was a great trip to Korea and I am looking forward to returning on Friday.

No comments: