Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Bearded Giant

They are very big on community projects and interaction where I work, so last Monday I took advantage of a wonderful opportunity to visit an orphanage. About ten or twelve of us went to the Peace Love and Hope Orphanage for Crippled Children. We split into three groups. The first group went to give the babies baths. The second group fed the toddlers. I went to the room with the 4-6 year-olds. It was snack time in there, so I fed bananas to a little girl. She was a slow eater, so that took some time.

After snack time, I told my little friend all about my life. It must have been interesting, because a few other kids came over to listen. One boy, whose legs did not work so well, dragged himself over on his elbows. Another one scooted over on his butt. The slowest to reach me was a boy who had to roll his whole body over and over in order get where he wanted to. In the end, I had a good little audience for my speech in English, but I think they were mostly just interested in touching my beard.

Next, I moved on to the next room and held another little boy in my lap until he was ready to play some catch with his plastic toy.

I think the staff at the orphanage are assigned to specific rooms of 10-15 kids. Each room has two attendants, one for the day and one for the night. She does the feeding, laundry, cleaning, and everything else for her charges. They definitely appreciate the occasional help of volunteers.

All in all, I had a great time and can't believe how quickly our two hour visit flew by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Until now we didn't know how to comment except by sending emails. Clicking on is certainly easy.
We have enjoyed ALL of the blogs, and this is no exception. It's a pleasure to read what you write, and both of you write beautifully.