Thursday, March 19, 2009

American parents and Japanese parents

My Korean friends speak English pretty well, but they use big words from textbooks or dictionaries. I guess they studied English hard when they were students. I was not a good student, so I sometimes don't know the words they use. I don't like studying. I usually learn English from people's conversations, so I use easy words and more common phrases.

Avram says reading is the best way to learn new words. It's true and I know that. I used to say that to my students, but I don't like to do that.

Fortunately as you know I have a lot of free time in my life now, so I sometimes read books these days, finally.

Now I'm reading a Japanese book written by a psychologist. I like books psychologists write. They are interesting. I also like non-fiction stories, history, geography, and science fiction, but NO ROMANCE books and movies. That's enough in my life:)

The title of the book is "Minds whose people can't be adults." It says you can understand other people and accept many situations if you used to do whatever you want or you need in each age. When those type of people turned adults or parents, they let their children do what they want to do because they understand the thoughts and feelings. They know kids sometimes need to do those things. They are kind and considerate with their children.

While people who have never been satisfied with what they're doing can't forgive easy going people or their children who don't behave well. They used to be good children. They used to listen to parents or teachers well even though they didn't want to do that. They didn't do what they wanted to do, so they think they don't need to go out of their way. They like people who go straight to work, but can't forgive people who don't work well.

The psychologist compares between Japanese parents and American parents. He says American children say their families are important for them even though more parents divorce in the U.S., but Japanese children don't say so. It's because American parents let their children do what they want to do more than Japanese ones do because they know it's fun and important for the age. But Japanese parents don't know it because they have done what they must do since they were children. They don't know how to have fun, so they can't let their children enjoy themselves either.

I think it's true. We have tight schedules for studying or club activities since we are children, so we don't have time for ourselves. Many people don't know how to enjoy their vacations. We just use the time to rest in weekends. Japanese parents have done what they must do since they were children, so they make their children do the same because they believe it's important that the children do those things. When those children never can feel satisfied, they lose passions, happiness, and hopes for the future.

I guess Avram and I could take each good way of raising children from the U.S. and Japan.


I like to read these kind of books because I can learn many things. I know reading is very good for me, but I have an allergy to reading. As soon as I start to read, I fall asleep.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

1 comment:

The Cruzers said...

I have the same allergy.