Saturday, February 7, 2009

More traffic observations

I don't know why, but I sure seem to notice details about traffic a lot here. Maybe because I was a professional driver, or maybe because I have done a lot of bike riding, or maybe because I like walking.

In the U.S., you drive all the way up to the intersection and then make a U-turn. Here, they center line becomes dashed well before the intersection. That way, a bunch of people can make U-turns when safe without clogging up the intersection. The traffic pattern is designed to force these U-turns because left turns are often not allowed in the city.

People seem to park cars all over the place here. Sometimes, they block other people in. So, perhaps out of a sense of politeness, many people have a little sign in their front window with their cell phone number.

No comments: