Sunday, October 18, 2009

That's "Wow!"

I have seen some "Wow!" things in Korea. For example driving at red lights, going on sidewalk by scooter, and pushing people away without "Excuse me." This morning I had an other very unusual experience.

I went to a women's bathroom. Fortunately it was very early morning, so only I was in the bathroom. I went in a toilet. Then I heard some people. I was surprised those Ajumas(elderly women)'s voice was very low like men's. More people came, but their voice were low too. While they were talking in toilets, I was wondering if they are women. I was not comfortable to hear them in the bathroom. Also the scent of something pervaded the air after a while. When I went out the toilet, one man came out from the other toilet and more men came out from others. There were six rooms in the bathroom. Except mine, men were in other bathrooms. I felt relieved they tried not to go up and see if mine is empty.

Probably their idea is practical, but it's very uncomfortable for me. When I went outside, a young woman came in. She saw many men were in the bathroom. She wondered if it's women's side and checked the sign. She seemed like she doubted I'm a woman. I wonder if it means Korean women go to men's bathroom if they were empty even if other men are there. Can those men finish working then?

1 comment:

Milo said...

i think you should try it out. next time you have to go go to the men's room!