Monday, January 5, 2009

Welcome Home – Now get to work!

The last two days of the year are reserved for cleaning in Japan. Perhaps because I am the tallest person in the house, I was given the task of cleaning the sliding glass doors. I think I did a good job and now we can look out and see the jungle covered hills and the humongous spider on the neighbor’s wall.

They let me do a bit of out door work as well. I swept up the dead-end road next to the house and put all of the leaves into the fire. I also helped pull weeds around the house. On previous visits, I have dug fence-post holes and helped construct a storage shed.

Very nearby in the village, Rie’s family has a small garden. Anytime we need green beans or broccoli or spinach, I get sent out there for some picking. Rie and I both agree, we hope to have a garden someday and grow some of our own food as well.

No comments: