Tuesday, December 2, 2008

We make a good team

Rie and I have had some difficulty finding Korean language lessons that fit our schedule. Most classes are offered during the day. We found a night class at the nearby university where Rie studies English, but because of the approaching holidays, they did not have enough students to offer their December-January class.

In the meantime, we are both picking up bits of Korean here and there. I concentrated on learning to read and write. Five hundred years ago, the King of Korea decided that it did not make sense to use Chinese characters to write the Korean language. He had his advisers come up with a new written system that was better suited to the Korean language. The result was 14 consonants and 10 vowels that are very easy to learn.

At this point, I can sound out most words, even if I don't understand the meaning. If the word comes from English, I am in luck. Otherwise, I am just making sounds.

A lot of Korean words derive from Chinese words. A lot of Japanese words also derive from Chinese. So, when I sound out words, Rie is frequently able to understand what I am saying.

With me reading and Rie understanding, we are managing quite well.

No comments: