Sunday, December 21, 2008

More Korean Language study

Friday evening Korean class was postponed because of our jjimjilbang excursion. We got home around noon, took a nap, and went to class at 3pm on Saturday afternoon instead.

Our instructor had given us a famous old Korean song to study and we read that for him. Yesterday's class reinforced my growing suspicion that the Korean Language is not as easy as I thought. I was excited to learn that Korean only has 24 letters. But, now I realize that they have another 15 or so two-letter combinations that make their own sounds. That by itself would not be too bad, but they also don't always pronounce letters the way they sound when you say the alphabet. We spent much of our last two classes learning about how different letters change their sounds, depending on what other letters are nearby.

The end result after one week of Korean lessons is this: Before we started the classes, I thought I could read. Now, I see I have a long way to go. On the positive side, since the class is taught in Japanese, my Japanese is improving.

Rie of course, is progressing quickly. She is discovering more and more words that are similar to Japanese words. Lucky her.

No comments: