Saturday, August 15, 2009

Culture Shock in Japan


I hadn't been in Japan for seven months. I already got culture shock when I got to the Fukuoka airport today.

First bus drivers are so nice to people in the bus and drive very very safely.

Second when I used the bathroom, the toilet spoke. It says "If you touch the panel or if you open the door, it flushes automatically." Japanese women feel embarrassed to make noise when they pee, so the toilet plays sound of river to drown out the noise.

Third I missed Japanese food. I had tempura-soba for lunch. I was surprised at not red color food, not strong smell and not spicy food.

Fourth Japan Air Line lets people who need some help such as elderly people, handicapped people, children who travel by themselves, and pregnant women get rides first. I got the service today. A man led me to the airplane and made the way for me. He said "Excuse me, let us go please." I was a first person to get a ride. Then the flight attendant gave me a small magazine and a toy for my baby. That was an interesting experience in my country. I wonder what kind of experience Avram will have in his country for the next one month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you're describing is not culture shock.