Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Traffic, Daily Commute, and Public Transportation

We are still living in a hotel, as we have been for one month. At first, we were in Centum City. That was a nice hotel near the convention center, but there were not many restaurants near there. While there, my co-worker Mr. Kim, picked me up every day and drove me to work. Driving with Mr. Kim, I learned about the rules of the road in Korea. There aren't many.

If there is cross-traffic in the road, you stop for red lights. Also, if there are people in the cross-walk, you stop. Other than that, you mostly just go. As fast as you can. This is one of those countries where you can fit three cars side-by-side on a two lane road. You can make a right turn on red, and you don't even need to stop first. Many drivers stop for red lights, but if it safe they don't bother to wait for the green light.

I have driven in Los Angeles, New York City, Miami, and Mexico City. I have walked in Kathmandu, Buenos Aires, Rome, Madrid, Marrakesh, Nairobi, Lima, and many other cities, but I have never seen such aggressive drivers as they have here in South Korea. They use the horn a lot, especially taxis. They aren't shy about racing pedestrians to the cross-walk and zipping past you. On the highway, they speed, but then slam on the brakes when they pass the speed cameras.

A few weeks ago we moved to the Seacloud Hotel on Haeundae beach. This is the most popular beach in the country and has lots of great places to eat. I now take either the subway or the bus to work. Usually, I wait for the express bus in front of the hotel and then change to a local bus after 15 minutes and then walk for 25 minutes. The whole commute takes me a bit under an hour, but I don't mind because I am either reading or walking the whole time. It seems like a great way to start the day to me. In the evening, a co-worker drops me off at the subway station.

Buses and trains cost well under $1 to ride. We bought 'Hanaro' cards. I keep the card in my wallet. When I get onto a bus or train, I just touch my wallet to the sensor pad and the money is automatically deducted. Very easy.

1 comment:

Super Dave said...

WOW, that is wild. I walked around when I was there (Loved the little Sea Food stands along the sea wall near Texas Street at night) and I can't remember what the drivers were like. I drove around in Naples, Italy and THAT was by far the WORSE I have seen...and I'm an expert in "BAD" driving. :)