Friday, September 4, 1998

4 SEP 98


After my last update we went over to the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. The roof is falling down, but they played baseball in the rain anyway. The game is just as boring as I remember it, so I had to make it more exciting by cheering for the visiting Colorado Rockies and being silly.

The next day we went to New York and, thankfully, the trip was over.

For the next couple of days I did a little shopping, hung out with Fiona, worked in the New Jersey office and had my van repaired after it broke. After a 5000+ mile trip and a few days in the office I was more tired than I had ever been in my life.

Then I started my current trip. My passengers range in age from 15 through 54, and there are only six of them. They have the best attitude about travel and are incredibly appreciative of my efforts. So far, this has been the dream trip I needed after my last group. After a few good nights sleep my appetite returned and I am having fun again.

We spent a few hours in Philadelphia and then headed down to Washington D.C. For the next couple of days we went to museums, ate ice cream and Ethiopian food, went to Arlington and spent some time in Georgetown.

Then we drove through Virginia and looked at the Shenandoah National Park. In Tennessee we went white water rafting on the Ocoee River. It was much better than I remember it and we all had a good time. After a night stop at Noccolulla Falls in Alabama we went down to New Orleans.

We had a good night out on the town despite all of the sand bags. Hurricane Earl was expected so the night life was a bit slow. Earl missed us, as did Hurricane Bonnie last week, so we went on a swamp tour with Mr. Denny. We saw spiders, an alligator, birds and plants.

Yesterday we drove for eleven hours to get to San Antonio. It is very hot here and everybody is a bit tired, so we are having an easy day in the city and will go back to camp early for a swim.

My e-mail is not working, so I will have to write everybody some time later. Downtown San Antonio, America's 10th largest city, does not even have an e-mail cafe. I am at the library, but only get 30 minutes so time is up - bye.

No comments: