Tuesday, May 5, 1998

5 MAY 98


Two weeks ago I picked up another 13 passengers and we headed east, to the California / Arizona border. We spent the night just south of Lake Havasu and swam in the cold Colorado River.

Then we went to Seligman, Arizona and stopped at the old Route 66 ice cream shop run by the crazy old man on our way to the Grand Canyon. I did a nice slow 17 mile hike down to the river, along the river, and back up another trail to the top. It was my first all polyester hike. Except for the wool in my socks and the cotton in my had I was dressed neck to ankles in all polyester. I was pleased with its water wicking properties and quick drying. I am in the process of trying out gear for my October trip to the Himalayas.

After the Grand Canyon, we went through the Hopi Indian Reservation to Canyon de Chelly. We hiked down to the White House Ruins and were impressed. The next day we went up to Monument Valley and took a jeep tour and long hike up to a good view point. The hike had a really scary rope ladder to climb and steep bits with handholds carved into the sandstone.

That night we slept in an Navajo (Dineh is politically correct) Hogan. Well, they slept in it. Although it was nice and warm inside, they were too loud so I went out to my van for a good night sleep.

Then it was off to Mesa Verde for a tour of the Anazasi (Ancient Puebloan Peoples is politically correct) Ruins. We toured a few ruins and then went to a campground with a nice hot tub.

After an early start the next day, we went rafting on the Colorado river in Moab, Utah. Then we watched to old car show and went out for dinner. The next day we did the Gemini Bridges bike ride and hung out in Arches National Park in the afternoon.

For lunch the following day I found a most amazing state park, Goblin Valley State Park in Utah. They have a big area filled with weird rock formations. Some people see goblins, or ETs, or mushrooms or rocks. I ran around there for a while and then we drove over Boulder Mountain and got snowed on.

We spent the next two nights at the Boulder Mountain Ranch . The ranch is right on the edge of the desert and the mountain and horseback rides include a bit of both. The ranch is a real working ranch and the owners are expert horseback riders. Despite a bit of hail, we had two beautiful rides. They also cooked us a few really good meals and we stayed in the bunk house. They also had three young boys to throw around.

From the ranch we went to Bryce Canyon National Park and hiked among the hoodoos. The next day we hiked up Angels' landing in Zion before relaxing for the Afternoon at the IMAX movie theater. We saw a double feature - Zion and Alaska.

After cleaning all of the equipment really well, we went to Las Vegas. I took a few people Bungee Jumping and went myself. It certainly has none of the thrill it used to and is getting a bit boring. It was my fourth one ever. After that I took the rest of the group Skydiving. An impressive nine out of thirteen made tandem jumps. I have not jumped in over a year, so I need a bit of retraining before I can jump again.

That night for dinner, we went to the Rio for our buffet. I now know why it has been voted number 1 for the last 10 years. They have a very impressive selection of food and we made pigs of ourselves.

On the final day we got a very late start and finished in Los Angeles on Saturday. Sunday I slept. Today I finished all of my work in the office and now have four days to get to Denver for my next trip.

Tomorrow I will get my retraining and make a few jumps in Las Vegas. Then I will go to Colorado and visit some friends or family before starting a ten day drip from Denver to Los Angeles.

My boss told me that when I return I can drive up to Seattle and do two trips in the Canadian Rockies before I get the 28 day trip from Seattle to Alaska and back. This is pretty much the exact schedule I have been begging for and I really hope it works out. We'll see.

No comments: